Re: Train trip and observations

<maikha_l@hotmail.com> wrote in message 91q24b$md7$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:91q24b$md7$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
| To All
|
| Today I went back on the trains after a long time.......
|
| Does anybody out there know why on earth aren't the Plasma's at Penrith
| next to the booking office working, instead showing some sort of error?
| The ticket booths aren't functioning?
| And also why aren't the SPI's displaying anything useful, other than
| the time and
| "Cityrail welcomes you to Penrith Station"?

I was told by a reliable source that the indicators are working shortly
after that time. The barriers are only a couple of weeks old in that
location and it is very common to see them sit there for a couple of weeks
at least (Campbelltown's period was a lot longer) and one of the reasons is
to make sure that everything is hokked up ok and also to ensure that people
are used to the idea. Also, I'd have it as a guess that many Penrith station
staff have not been to "automatic gate school." In this case, they'd have to
install the gates on the bridge (where the metal plate across the ground is)
or otherwise there would be not much point in having the main gates
operating.

| ---
| I took the 9:16pm Inter-urban service to sydney terminal and
| coincidently travelled in a DKT carraige (Which I have been chasing for
| a long time for a picture. Very fortunate I had my trusty Ricoh with
| me!).
| Behind my seat, when I sat down, was a man taking up the 3 end seats
| and sleeping. When I mean sleeping, I mean snoring and dribbling!
| Four young girls right across me didn't notice him until Granville.
| They looked at him after I did and looked at me and shrugged their
| shoulders before contuing their convo.

Maybe the young girls didn't like you looking at them! Maybe they noticed
him before. It would have been worse if the person was a Kenny (aka homeless
person) and really stunk the car out, but I digress.

| (Bottom)Green
|

| I'm not much of a signaller but are signals controlled by Western
| Signal Box (Located at the end of PLatform 2 and 3 at Penrith) or are
| they automatic?
|
| And also is it ok if someone can correct me if I've made an error.

Penrith Signal Box (not Western Signal Box) on platforms 1/2 controls the
Penrith area. All of the signals at the ends of Penrith's platforms are
controlled signals. As a GENERAL rule of thumb (I'm sure I'll get corrected
if wrong) in NSW for double colour lights signals (let's not make this into
a safeworking unit) can be automatic, semi automatic or controlled.

Auto signal - the two signal heads do not line up or if they do, there is an
"A" plate - a for auto
Semi-Auto - two signal heads lined up with an illumated "A" light which
lights up when operated as an auto signal (eg not controlled from SB)
Controlled signal - two heads line up, no A light or sign.- controlled by
Signal Box.

Eric