Re: Trouble in the mountains today?

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
NEO_5.140126$DG3.2745544@news2.giganews.com">news:NEO_5.140126$DG3.2745544@news2.giganews.com...
> Driving out of Faulconbridge to Linden around 1430 today (Sat 16/12) ,
> noticed there was a train on the up track - and it wasn't moving. As I got
> closer, I noticed there were about 200 people on the side of the Great
> Western Highway, with Highway Patrol motorcycle police directing traffic
> into the right hand lane (away from the pedestrians).
>
> The only thing I can think of is a derailment. If the train had failed
> otherwise, they could just send ina  loco to drag it out (unless it was a
> bogie failure).
>
> Anyone know what happened?
>
> Dave

There's a report in today's Sun-Herald.   Overhead powerlines failed,
passengers reported a shower of sparks and a loud crash.  Passengers
sweltered in the carriages for nearly two hours before repair crews moved
the train under reduced power to a point just outside Faulconbridge.

regards

David Bennetts
Bowral