Re: No speedrail, Badgerys creek or Kurnell

"David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
IsBZ5.222$Le6.1203@news0.optus.net.au">news:IsBZ5.222$Le6.1203@news0.optus.net.au...
> Dave Proctor (daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> > "david" <david@gwmail.nmit.vic.edu.au> wrote in message
> > 3A36D88F.4E6E8D0C@gwmail.nmit.vic.edu.au">news:3A36D88F.4E6E8D0C@gwmail.nmit.vic.edu.au...
>
> > > ps wasn't the project  privetly funded to a extent that they wanted
the
> > > extra funds from the government - and that was what they rejected ?
>
> > It was going to be privately funded, but with tax concessions from the
> > government. This would not have involved any outlay by the government,
> > merely a non-receipt of some taxation revenues.
>
> Which would have been recouped in other ways such as employment. The
> government formula for calculating returns on Commonwealth money only
> includes direct financial returns, and does not take into account social
> returns or avoiding having to spend money elsewhere.

And the silly thing is, they don't think it through properly anyway. "Let'
see, they want us to gorego $100 million in income tax on their projected
profits for 20 years. We can't have that, so we won't allow the project to
go ahead." totally forgetting that if the project doesn't go ahead, they
won't get thoat tax income anyway.

(Note, figures made up for the sake of example).

Dave