Re: [Adelaide] White cement elephant

"Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
m93Z5.7393$Vu1.158878@ozemail.com.au">news:m93Z5.7393$Vu1.158878@ozemail.com.au...

> >snip<

Look people, we might as well face the fact that suburban rail travel in
Adelaide is going the way of the dinosaur, people might complain about it
but if no-one is using the service what other choice is there. In fact, I'm
sure that if a private consortium went to the SA government and said that
for $xxxxxxx they would pull up and replace with buses all suburban routes
at no cost to the tax payer the government would surely have a look at it.

Don't forget that many years ago Jeff Kennett said that if he was ever
Premier he would close all rail lines and convert then into roadways, of
course it never happened :), also remember this, not long after he won
office the government looked at stopping train services at 2000 hrs and
running buses, the only services that would run were Werribee with buses to
St Albans from Footscray and buses to Broadmeadows and Upfield from Nth
Melb. Frankston trains terminating at Moorabbin with buses further on and
buses to Dandenong from Caulfield. Sandringham buses from South Yarra.

So don't think for a minute that trains in Adelaide are a sure thing, (or
anywhere else for that matter).

Regards Michael