Re: [Adelaide] White cement elephant

Taliesin Walker wrote in message <3a3351d1.1980790@news.chariot.net.au>...

>I wouldn't argue that Adelaide really needs a wonderful PT systems,
>simply that, if we are toing to spend $100 Million on PT is should be
>spent on infrastructure that benifits the most people. The O-Bahn is
>worse than light rail or even heavy rail because on route stations are
>very difficult to organise. There are _3_ on the current O-Bahn and I
>think it is about 15 km long and passes through residential areas, as
>this one will.
>
>Besides, my basic question is: why duplicate an existing service
>provided by trains?

Hmm. The O-Bahn strikes me as a system that has the worst of both worlds. It
has the low capacity of buses with the inflexibility of rail. About the only
good thing about it is the fact that the bus can drive off the end and
become a feeder bus and the passengers don't have to chnage vehicles. Given
that there is a railway line in existence it would seem that it would be
cheaper and just as convenient to upgrade it.

I'm glad I live in Brisbane.

Barry Campbell