Re: Bairnsdale train users meet with Minister

In article <yBgU5.20$Ek.3034@news0.optus.net.au>,
  dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> Bairnsdale residents will know in two weeks if their V/Line passenger
> train service will be re-introduced. The Save our Train Action group
met
> with Transport Minister Peter Batchelor in Melbourne yesterday.
>
> http://www.abc.net.au/news/regionals/gippsland/monthly/reggip-
>24nov2000-5.htm

http://www.dpc.vic.gov.au/domino/web_notes/newmedia.nsf/ebfd7a9e83f839b3
4a2568110023b2e3/ef84d7102746954d4a2569b30019d36a?OpenDocument

The Minister for Transport, Mr Peter Batchelor, said today he had held
further discussions with members of the Save Our Train Community Action
Group to discuss proposals for re-opening the passenger rail service
between Bairnsdale and Sale.

Mr Batchelor told the Group that a feasibility study prepared by
National Express on re-opening the line had been received by the
Government and evaluated by the Department of Infrastructure.

He said the study would be considered in conjunction with studies
undertaken to investigate the possible re-opening of other lines closed
by the Kennett Government - Mildura, Leongatha and Ararat.

"Because of the cost of re-opening these lines, a decision can only be
made in the context of future State Budgets," Mr Batchelor said.

"This will include both the capital and recurrent costs to the State of
re-commencing these services."

The Bracks Government has undertaken to review rail lines closed by the
Kennett Government taking account of a range of factors, including
patronage levels, passenger comfort and convenience and the cost to
taxpayers of restoring rail services.

Mr Batchelor praised the Save Our Train Action Group and East Gippsland
MP Craig Ingram for their strong advocacy of improved public transport
services for the East Gippsland region.

"In particular, they have worked hard to ensure the Government is fully
informed of all issues associated with the future of the Bairnsdale
rail line."

Mr Batchelor said it was important the local community supported
efforts by the Save Our Trains Action Group to identify innovative ways
in which patronage on a rail service could be maximised, including
tourism initiatives, promoting the new rail trail and education
excursions.

"Before any decision is made about re-opening the line, the Government
must be satisfied that the local community is fully behind the rail
service and will use it."

--
Cheers

Railway Rasputin