Re: [SA] Renmark

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:28:11 GMT, John Dennis <jdennis@acslink.net.au>
wrote:

>In article <3A337F38.3184@ozemail.com.au>,
>  Doug <dougea@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Remark had a railway oddity. A combined road/rail bridge across the
>> Murray River. The bridge is still used for road traffic and the
>> railway leadup to the bridge is now a cycleway.
>
>An oddity maybe, but certainly not unique.  Without any reference
>material at hand, I would suggest that there were combined rail/road
>bridges at Renmark, Echuca and Tocumwal (probably Robinvale too -
>can't remember).  There are rail-only bridges at Murray Bridge,
>Yarrawonga and Albury/Wodonga, so the score (on Murray River bridges) is
>about even.
>
>JD
>--
>John Dennis
>Home of the Dutton Bay Tramway
>http://members.optushome.com.au/duttonbay

The Renmark bridge was unique,in the sense that although it was a road
/ rail bridge ,the rail line in the middle of the bridge was not part
of the road , ie motorists couldnt drive along the railway tracks as
they can on most of the other rail road bridges..
Essentially the road was divided into two parts a left hand lane and a
right hand lane with the rail track in the middle of the two road
lanes with fencing between them .
The rail line crossed the road lane at each end of the bridge where
there were flashing lights.
In theory it would have been possible for cars to be on the bridge
whilst a train was going over it.
Pretty sure there were none others like it.

MD