Re: Overland Versus V/line

James C. wrote:

> RACE 2.
>
> While we left North Shore Geelong, 1828 Geelong-Spencer Street train
> hauled by N459 quickly over took us(1828 service not stop at North
> Shore). But we over took them at Corio. Just befor Lara, BL27 slowed
> down a bit and "FFFFWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAA!" N459 horned from behind but
> didn't quite over take Overland as well accelerate again.
>
> Apporaching 39 KM post(Manor Loop?) we stopped for Toll train to pass.
> N459 zooommmm through from behind ended the chase(1838 service would
> actually get to Spencer Street 40 minutes ahead of Overland).
>
> Race 3
>
> Following service, Vline empty carriage transfer hauled by N469 also
> over took us at 39km post 3 minutes following N459, but after we met
> Toll train, gather up speed, we met it at Laverton, around Altona we
> slowed down and N469 quickly over took and disappeared without a
> trace.

Any SG train wouldn't have a hope of beating any BG train from Newport
to Spencer Street because of the ridiculously long and slow route the SG
takes. The SG basically travels in a huge S shape over slow freight
lines before it then has to proceed even slower past Dynon & all the
freight yards. The BG is a much more direct route.

           Tottenham

             __|__________ Footscray
            /             \_|_________
 Brooklyn -|             / \          \
           |            /   \__________\_ - North Melbourne
            \_________  |               \\
                 SG-> \ | <-BG           \\
                       \|                 \\
                        |- Newport         \\- Spencer Street
                       /
______________________/
<- Geelong

(You must use a fixed width font to see this ASCII diagram)

This route one of the worst features of the western SG line as it adds
about another 40 minutes onto any trip out west on the SG. This is why
SG passenger services to Ararat aren't really an option at the moment.
You feel like you've been travelling all day before you even get out of
Melbourne! :-)

It really shows what the government's priorities are when you see them
spending billions of dollars on roads, yet they don't put any money into
providing a fast passenger route out of the city for The Overland and
other potential SG trains in the future.

--
- James Brook -

e-mail:
mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au