Re: Did anyone know?

> How far out do you count Melbourne, Healesville & Mornington have
> been closed, (albeit then transferred to tourist railways), and
> beyond Cranbourne.

You cannot say that the Mornington line has been transferred to a
tourist group (with the underlying assumption that it could be taken
back). The right of way from the Nepean Highway to the old station site
just does not exist anymore. It was sold for housing about 10 minutes
after the line was closed to make sure that it could never be re-opened.
The station site is probably a shopping centre by now.

the original line into Mornington would have made a fantastic tourist
line. It went between two large urban centres (Frankston and Mornington)
so there was a good passenger catchment. The facilities in Mornington
were geared up to the tourist trade, especially day trips from
Melbourne. Good shopping centre, excellent parks, harbour and beaches;
all within easy walking distance from the train.

Never live in a safe seat. I moved from Mornington (safest Liberal seat
in the world) to Wollongong (safest labor seat in the world). Both areas
suffer in exactly the same way from a total lack of interest from any
political party.

Regards,
Michael Milway.