Re: [Syd] Fare cheats costing $50m a year

David Bennetts wrote:

> "Daniel Bowen" <dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au> wrote in message
> LOAX5.7299$xW4.60691@news-server.bigpond.net.au">news:LOAX5.7299$xW4.60691@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > CityRail will increase the number of ticket inspectors by 50 per cent
> > following a report that revealed fare evasion on public transport was
> > costing NSW taxpayers as much as $50 million a year.
> >
> > http://www.smh.com.au/news/0012/07/national/national16.html
> Not a lot of use if they don't get some powers to demand ID or otherwise
> establish identity of the offenders.

When did this change?  Back in my day, (pre 1989) we wouldn't let them go until
they proved who they were, and neither did the ticket inspectors, as far as I
was aware.  If they couldn't, (or wouldn't) provide ID, they were handed over
to the Police.

So why is there a problem now?

DPC James McInerney  (NSWR Guard 1978-89)

STOP!  In The Name Of The Lore!

At http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/ , "Lambing Flat's" mainpage for the HO model
and NSWGR information.
Or http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/rvrtitle.html  for the "Rurr Valley Railway",