Re: Reducing fare evasion

In aus.rail, on 06 Dec 2000, James C. announced:

>In article <9002683D1ogo1mynxwowaustcom@203.109.250.24>,
>  quentisl@leaves.qjc.cjb.net (OgO) wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>G'day
>
>> While sitting on a train with nothing better to do,
>
>I'll ask Erik to do a survey on what to do when you feel bored on a
>train :-)

*grin* that could make a thread all it's own...

I counted all the seats/windows/lights/etc in the carriage once - but I
forget how many there are so I'll have to do it again next time...

>> I put my mind to the
>> problem of fair evasion, and how to stop it.
>
>Extra station staffs/connies. One of the best and <friendly> way.

Yes I agree, but if they're going to do that, what's the point of the whole
metcard thing? - that just makes it (more of) an annoyance (than it already
is)?

it also means that we have lots of staff - like we used to, and we have all
those machines and validators and stuff which cost a bundle, and with the
staff back we needn't have bothered and could have saved all that money and
used it on better trains/stations/whatever...

>> The idea I had, which I like most is frequent traveller points, which
>> would work in much the same way as frequent flyer points.  If there
>was
>> some sort of decent incentive to collect points, that might encourage
>> people to buy tickets.
>
>Or fly buys.

Indeed.

>> I also had the idea of rather than buying a paper (cardboard,
>whatever -
>> throwaway) ticket every time you travel, you have a plastic card
>which can
>> be recharged with more credits.
>
>Auckland New Zealand have such system . (Yellow card?)
>
>> The bonus for commuters is that the more you use it, you get charged
>the
>> best price - encouragement to use it more.
>
>How about extend the bonous to long distance trains? say if you travel
>on the XPT/ VLP service or GSR trains or book for QR/Westrail trains,
>you can get extra points.

Yep, sounds good.

Regards

OgO

--
My Win9x Cursors: http://qjc.cjb.net/cursors.html
Please don't send me junk leaves! (take them out before replying).

No Silicon Heaven?  But where do all the calculators go? - Kryten.