Re: [NSW] Bondi Beach Rail - Under review

Chris wrote:

> I think the whole idea of a line to Bondi is silly, instead of building a
> line in a rich area where there is already a very good public transport
> system the "Labour" govt should build lines out in their poor western sydney
> electorates where a decent public transport system is needed.

Absolutely. Having said that though, Bondi Beach's value to tourism
demands quality public transport access, and I can concur with David in
saying that buses certainly don't provide it. Getting from the beach up
Bondi Road to the Junction, a distance of about two kilometres, can take
up to half an hour, and more in the peak. The full journey to the city
can take over an hour.

But they won't
> do that because they are safe seats and people who live in those seats are
> too dumb to protest.

The recent publicity over Westbus's on-time running performance might
suggest they're starting to see things differently. The closed-plan
nature of the region's housing IMO would make it hard to route new lines
effectively without needing buses as local transport in any case. The
real answer IMO is for State Transit to take over, though how long that
will take is anyone's guess.

Dion