Re: VIC - Cut from Border mail, Alb/Wod - Saturday.

"Rod [Comtrain]" wrote:

> Here is a little bet, if any one wants top take me on.
> Bet they do not build any station at all!
> why? Glad you asked that.
> They are saying that the Victorian Government is to Standardise the BG line
> from Seymour to Albury, which in itself is a bloody good idea. Two buggered
> lines from Melbourne has got to be better than one, and the BG traffic is
> nearly stopped now anyway.
> It is my opinion that the promised $400 millions for this conversion [you
> think that too much see note 1 below]
> does not exist, and if the Wodonga Diversion actually does start, we will be
> told to use the Albury Railway Station, until the Bg is converted. They may
> even build the two lines across the plains, but I doubt they will build a BG
> yard at West Wodonga at all.
> That rules out cement [unless they build a bogie exchange at Geelong]
> It also rules out the new Timber Contract, which will continue next year, by
> which time many thousands of tonnes will be available for transport.
> It rules out Super Phosphate unless major monies are available to extend SG
> around Geelong.
> Basically it rules out Wodonga all together.
> SCT run their own trains from Sydney to Melbourne and will shunt the siding
> at west Wodonga themselves.
> National Rail will try to win the Uncle Bens traffic and also shunt them
> selves.
> V/Line Pass have all their Rolling Stock heavily Committed. And so
> converting three sets of cars to SG, with spares will mess their whole
> strategy up, increase costs as much as to make the Service uneconomical.
> The proposed Railway Station is about 4 km away from town, in an Industrial
> area. You will find patronage will fall away dramatically when people need
> to go to Albury, and as a result the New Station will magically become
> unviable.
> So what have we left?
> Two SG lines to Albury [still with a 40 kph curve, this time though it is at
> the Murray River.]

Rod do you  think that the they would be able to keep 40Kph curve from my
observations if (Crapps) Abury internal bypass is built, the road over rail
bridge would be constructed not far south of the rail bridge over the Murray, so
the rail line curve to avoid the road would be a  sharper than the curves they
have now
Davo