VIC - UBA to expand on rail, BMM

Uncle Ben's plans $45m upgrade
2 December 2000 Border Mail.

UNCLE Ben's Australia yesterday announced it would go ahead with a $45
million upgrade that could create 60 new jobs.

General manager Mr Bob Kennedy praised the Federal Government for agreeing
to put $20 million into the rail relocation and new freight depot.

Uncle Ben's will extend its buildings over the present rail line and
redevelop a substantial part of its petfood factory, which employs 800
people.

The work should take three years, providing a boost to the Albury-Wodonga
building industry.

As well as increasing production, Uncle Ben's plans a massive shift of its
freight output from road to rail.

Mr Kennedy told Mr John Anderson that the present line into Uncle Ben's was
uneconomic because it allowed only four wagons to be loaded at one time, and
these had to be shunted in and out on to the main rail line.

As a result, the factory sent out only 19,000 tonnes of petfood a year by
rail, but the plan was to increase this to 180,000 tonnes a year.

"We can now take that spur line out of the centre of the plant and renovate
the entire front end," Mr Kennedy said.

"We will be able to invest about $45 million in new plant and equipment that
will further position our brands of Pal and Whiskas for a tremendous future.

"We will now be able to employ probably another 60 associates (employees)."

Mr Kennedy said the enlarged Uncle Ben's would be able to raise its exports
to more than $200 million, up $35 million.

"It means this site probably has a life of another 25 to 30 years.

"As far as we are concerned, the future looks tremendous."

Investment Albury-Wodonga chiefs and other business leaders welcomed
yesterday's news of the rail relocation and Uncle Ben's expansion.

Mr Gary Zauner, of Zauner Construction, said it would be a big boost for
economic development.