Re: Popularity of train travel

Taliesin Walker (taliesin@chariot.net.au) wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 07:07:48 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
> Bromage) wrote:

> >Taliesin Walker (taliesin@chariot.net.au) wrote:
> >> Still it would be great for a single person who wanted to take their
> >> car on business, but take the plane.
> >
> >The average business trip would be shorter than the time taken to get your
> >car to Darwin.
>
> This is true, but I was thinking more of tourists and people moving
> interstate.

Taking a car from Melbourne to Alice Springs on the Ghan costs $786
return. To Darwin would probably cost about $1200. That's about the same
as hiring a 4WD for 10 days. If you were flying to Darwin for a holiday,
it would be cheaper to hire a car from the airport, plus it's there as
soon as you arrive.

The major market for motorail is for people only going one way by train.

The moving interstate market is very small.

Cheers
David