Re: Popularity of train travel

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:08:29 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David
Bromage) wrote:

>Train travel has made a comeback in South Australia, with high fuel prices
>one of the reasons why. Great Southern Railway, which operates the long
>distance trains out of Adelaide, says the biggest increase in patronage
>has been on the Overland service, but use is up about 10 per cent on all
>services.
>
>http://www.abc.net.au/news/state/sa/archive/metsa-30nov2000-10.htm
In my opinion GSR should think of carrying cars on the back of their
trains as the greatest competitive advantage they have over airlines
and busses. People like to take their cars with them interstate as it
is very useful to have a car to get around in while on holiday, but
some people don't particularly like long distance driving (espeically
with petrol prices the way they are). GSR should promote this survice
and possible offer more car places on the IP and OL at lower cost.

Tali