Re: Harris trains

There's not very much in "Electric Railways of Victoria" about it. It does
say that a special 10-car Harris train ran from Gippsland with school
children for a royal visit. It also says some 8-car Harris's were run on the
Burnley and Showgrounds lines in 1967, with planned introduction to other
lines, which had their platforms lengthened to allow for it.

It also says some of the later Harris trains had power closing doors fitted,
though this was not in common use. I can't see much other info in the book,
and my personal recollection is only of 7-car Harris trains.

(Note though that a 10-car V/Line set of ex-Harris cars, accompanied by a
diesel engine at each end, was sitting near Caulfield today, having run as a
Reconciliation Walk special).

The book does mention and has photos of various oddities including 1, 3 and
4-car Tait trains, 2 car Swing door trains, and 2 and 4-car Hitachi trains.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
dbowen@custard.REMOVE.net.au