Re: New Melbourne trams have fewer seats than the old ones but they're longer!

In article <39A2489A.361F@iprolink.co.nz>, David McLoughlin
<davemclNOSPAM@iprolink.co.nz> wrote:

> I have never promoted any such thing, I have merely observed the irony
> of how the US goes out of its way to prevent the importation of many
> fine unsubsidised NZ products into the US but insists other countries
> including NZ allow absolutely free access for subsidised and protected
> US goods.

Now that is a valid -- and interesting -- point.

I guess that there is no US kiwifruit growers' lobby to offend, whereas
OTOH, the cattle ranchers would, er, have a cow if we allowed too much
foreign beef in.  Besides, that foreign stuff doesn't have those beneficial
growth hormones the domestic product does.

--
Sandy Smith, University Relations / 215.898.1423 / smiths@pobox.upenn.edu
Managing Editor, _Pennsylvania Current_           current@pobox.upenn.edu

"I have friends who live in Denver...They gnash their teeth when I tell
them that Denver is Wichita with mountains..."
-------"Captain Billy" in the _Salon_ "Table Talk" thread on Kansas City--