Re: Paint is out - Wrap is in

"David McLoughlin" <davemclNOSPAM@iprolink.co.nz> wrote in message
39A0E4FF.1CEA@iprolink.co.nz">news:39A0E4FF.1CEA@iprolink.co.nz...
> Deeg wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 12:00:59 +1000, "HXP1"
> > <hxp1@dingoblue.gunzel.net.au> wrote:
> >
> > >The all-over advertising trams in Melbourne use this process
extensively.

> > Does your all-over advertising include the abomination of vinyl over
> > the windows, that you are supposed to be able to see out past but
> > which gives approximately the same effect as a year's worth of soot?
>

> Yes indeed.
>
> The most worrying thing about this advertising abomination is not the
> ghastly images in the all-over wrap, but the fact that it makes transit
> vehicles less safe by the fact nobody outside the tram/bus can see in,
> which makes it easier for muggers/robbers to carry out their crimes
> without detection.
>
> Over here in Auckland we have buses wrapped like this too. Sure, if you
> are inside you can see out, but nobody outside the bus can see in and
> thus cannot see if there is a problem in the bus.

You can see out in fine weather but in wet weather the little perforations
in the vinyl hold water turning the window opaque, thus the driver's view to
the side is blocked out, just what you don't need when crossing a busy
intersection and you can't see if some galah to your side is running the red
light. Thankfully the windscreens have not been covered but I bet some
graphic artist has wanted to cover these in the name of art. ( galah = an
Aussie rose-breasted  grey-backed cockatoo; and Aussie slang for a fool or
simpleton.)

Any of the Sydney light rail stops that have a concave face to the platform
have been fitted with a convex mirror to give the driver a view of all the
doors on the tram. These mirrors have been positioned so that the driver
views them through the top few centimetres of the front door, fine, then
along comes the vinyl brigade and includes the top of each window and door
in the opaque design. Yep the view of the mirror has now been lost. To see
the mirror the driver now needs to open the front door even when this door
is not being used by passengers. If only the drivers had been asked for
their comments!

Ted