Re: QR Diesel tilt train not very fast?

David Bromage <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message news:W00m5.37

<snip>

> The maximum angle of tilt is governed by the gauge. Imagine a line passing
> vertically through the centre of tilt. When tilting, that line has to stay
> within approximately the middle third of the gauge. That's why it would be
> restricted to 5 degrees on narrow gauge.
>
> If you tilt any more, you put excessive stresses on the rail. 8 degrees on
> anrrow gauge would probably cause the rail to tip over or break. Then you
> stop rather fast.

Are you sure about this last paragraph?  I thought the most likely
consequence would be the train tipping over (just like a newspaper photo I
saw of a Kenyan train a day or two ago).  I have heard of instances of
trains taking a corner too fast and derailing, but have always assumed the
rail and its fastenings stayed intact.  If the rail or fastenings are liable
to break, there can't be much of a "safety factor" designed into the system.

Cheers
Michael