Re: QR Diesel tilt train not very fast?

Colin Weaver wrote:

> Matthew Geier wrote:
> >  In all probablity the track north of Townsville will not be upgraded again :-)
> > thus the new train will be limited to the same speed as the loco hauled trains,
> > track condition and level crossing timings setting the limits way below what the
> > trains them selves are capable of.
>
> At least a partial upgrade of the line between Townsville and Cairns has
> been announced in this year's Queensland budget.  See the press release
> at:
>
> http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/cgi-bin/display.pl?secure=false&index=8060
>
> The Townsville - Cairns section is to receive $80 million in this year's
> budget - not enough for a complete relay but a substantial amount,
> especially compared to the piddling amounts being spent elsewhere in
> Australia.  In comparison, the Rockhampton - Townsville relay (concrete
> sleepers, heavy welded rail) is costed at $240 million.  Hopefully, much
> of the funding will go toward replacing cane tramway crossings with
> "drawbridge" type crossings which require QR trains to slow to 40Km/h or
> slower.
>
> In addition, the (mostly 40Kg) rail removed between Rockhampton and
> Cairns  is to be used to upgrade western lines, many of which still
> retain sections of rail as light as 21Kg.  The Rocky - Townsville relay
> will also free up a large number of steel sleepers - which may be reused
> on branch lines (I have seen large numbers of steel sleepers stockpiled
> awaiting use at Goomeri on the Kingaroy branch).
>
> cheers,
> Colin

I may be a little out of date, but my understanding is that the steel sleepers Rocky -
Townsville will be cascaded for use Townsville - Cairns, giving 100% steel sleepers.
With steel sleepers however the tilt train cannot tilt to the same extent (Less cant
deficiency allowed) and therefore will not make the same speed savings.

I am surprised at the time savings quoted however, as the new train should be much
faster on the long straights Rocky Townsville than the current 100 km/h of the
Sunlander.

--
Bruce L. Greening
bgreeni@ibm.net