Re: QR Diesel tilt train not very fast?

Matthew Geier wrote:
>  In all probablity the track north of Townsville will not be upgraded again :-)
> thus the new train will be limited to the same speed as the loco hauled trains,
> track condition and level crossing timings setting the limits way below what the
> trains them selves are capable of.

At least a partial upgrade of the line between Townsville and Cairns has
been announced in this year's Queensland budget.  See the press release
at:

http://statements.cabinet.qld.gov.au/cgi-bin/display.pl?secure=false&index=8060

The Townsville - Cairns section is to receive $80 million in this year's
budget - not enough for a complete relay but a substantial amount,
especially compared to the piddling amounts being spent elsewhere in
Australia.  In comparison, the Rockhampton - Townsville relay (concrete
sleepers, heavy welded rail) is costed at $240 million.  Hopefully, much
of the funding will go toward replacing cane tramway crossings with
"drawbridge" type crossings which require QR trains to slow to 40Km/h or
slower.

In addition, the (mostly 40Kg) rail removed between Rockhampton and
Cairns  is to be used to upgrade western lines, many of which still
retain sections of rail as light as 21Kg.  The Rocky - Townsville relay
will also free up a large number of steel sleepers - which may be reused
on branch lines (I have seen large numbers of steel sleepers stockpiled
awaiting use at Goomeri on the Kingaroy branch).

cheers,
Colin