Re: [Melb] W Class Trams

"David McLoughlin" <davemclNOSPAM@iprolink.co.nz> wrote in
message 3994CA6D.6BF5@iprolink.co.nz">news:3994CA6D.6BF5@iprolink.co.nz...
> David Lindstrom wrote:
> >
> > "David McLoughlin" <davemclNOSPAM@iprolink.co.nz> wrote in
>
> > > The Malvern and Southbank Ws will return.  But what I
think
> > should
> > > happen is that once the new artic trams enter service
> >
> > May I ask why you call them artic trams?
>
> Of course.
>
> It is an abbreviation of "articulated." The new trams will be
> three-section or five-section articulated trams. The only
articulated
> trams in Melbourne at present are the Bs which are
two-section. The
> trams the new ones will replace are bogie cars (with no
articulation).

> I have lived in NZ for a long while now. "Artic" is the common
> abbreviation here for "articulated"  (although some media talk
of "bendy
> buses" rather than "articulated buses"). Is "artic" not an
acceptable
> term in Melbourne to describe an articulated vehicle? It may
not be, of
> course. What were called "semi-trailers" or "semis" when I
grew up in
> Melbourne are called "articulated trucks" or "artics" over
here.

> David McLoughlin
> Auckland New Zealand1

I'm sure it's perfectly acceptable. I hadn't herad it before. I
thought maybe you meant because they were being designed or
built in Europe they would be made to keep out the cold. Many of
the Z class trams broke down when they experienced their first
summer in Melbourne.
DL