Re: [Melb] W Class Trams

David Lindstrom wrote:

> "David McLoughlin" <davemclNOSPAM@iprolink.co.nz> wrote in

> > The Malvern and Southbank Ws will return.  But what I think
> should
> > happen is that once the new artic trams enter service
>
> May I ask why you call them artic trams?

Of course.

It is an abbreviation of "articulated." The new trams will be
three-section or five-section articulated trams. The only articulated
trams in Melbourne at present are the Bs which are two-section. The
trams the new ones will replace are bogie cars (with no articulation).

I have lived in NZ for a long while now. "Artic" is the common
abbreviation here for "articulated"  (although some media talk of "bendy
buses" rather than "articulated buses"). Is "artic" not an acceptable
term in Melbourne to describe an articulated vehicle? It may not be, of
course. What were called "semi-trailers" or "semis" when I grew up in
Melbourne are called "articulated trucks" or "artics" over here.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand1