Re: [Melb] W Class Trams

David Lindstrom wrote:

> My understanding is though, that the state government regards
> them as Melbourne icon and does require that they continue to
> run.

More than the state government. The much more powerful National Trust
demands their retention. That is why a couple of hundred of them are
stored, rotting away, in various sites around Melbourne; none are
allowed to be disposed of, even though cities and organisations overseas
would happily buy them.

The Malvern and Southbank Ws will return.  But what I think should
happen is that once the new artic trams enter service, they should
replace all the Ws apart from the City Circle line ones before they
replace any Zs, and they should only start replacing Zs once there is a
sufficient buffer of operational trams to allow for breakdowns and route
extensions.

In other words, no Zs to be replaced until a new order after the orders
placed by the two companies for 99 new trams.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand