Re: Outer East PT sidelined: Scoresby Fwy back on agenda

> Virtually no demand exists at all for long distance orbital travel.
The
> only people who will use it are people from Knox and Waverley trying
> avoid tolls on City Link (who will go down the Eastern into the city),
> and freight trying to do the same (CityLink is the best route for
> freight to get to the Hume Hwy and airport, but trucks will try to
> avoid it because of the tolls)

So you would argue the Western Ring Road was unneccessary then? Whilst
not a big fan of building big roads and not doing something about
public transport (and vote accordingly-take note!), I would say the
Western Ring Road is good value for taxpayers money. So do the many
other people who use it and create traffic congestion on it. Until such
a time as the pollies hit reality, unfortunately there is a need for
rapid cross suburban travel, by either road or public transport. I
would see a place, not only for the Scoresby Ring Road, the Rowville
train line and the other projects (they are all necessary, the RR for
orbital travel, The Rowville train for city people, although they are
getting less in numbers compared to decentralised travel patterns from
my liited information), but there is probably going to be a case for
reserving a public transport alignment along the freeway alignment.
Maybe a busway to start with with a view to a rail line. But cross
suburban travel exists, don't you worry. (Being one example myself of
someone who goes from Rosanna to Camberwell on weekdays and to Mulgrave
and back 3 days a week!)

> What is really needed is to complete the Rowville line, the Knox tram,
> overhaul the buses, and give patterns a couple of years to emerge
> before making any final decision on the Freeway.

The road lobby would argue much the same about the freeway ,sadly
--
Michael Walker
Email: wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/