Re: Rail Route Question

"Gordon Staley" <gordonstaley@nospamhome.com> wrote in message
cA4l5.49207$a01.466571@news1.rdc1.sdca.home.com">news:cA4l5.49207$a01.466571@news1.rdc1.sdca.home.com...
> I'm from the US.  My family and I visited Australia recently for the first
> time and we thoroughly enjoyed it.  We are looking at visiting again and
> would like to take a rail trip from Adelaide to Koober Peedy to Alice
> Springs to Darwin and back.  Is such a rail route available?  If so how
> would I contact the appropriate folks to see about timetables and fares?
> Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Gordon,

Adelaide to Alice Springs is possible by train, but the train does not go
through Coober Pedy. Alice Springs to Darwin cannot be travelled by train at
the moment, although it *should* be running in a few years (once the tracks
have been laid).

For information on the Ghan (the train from Sydney or Melbourne to Alice
Springs via Adelaide) the Great Southern Railways website has all the
information, at http://www.gsr.com.au/ - best option might be an AustRail
pass. If Coober Pedy is a *must see* place, then I would suggest a Greyhound
Pass - http://www.greyhound.com.au/ (they are not aligned with Greyhound
America, and their buses are more comfortable than some of the GH US buses I
have been on).

Dave