Re: Suburban densities and rail service (was Re: Putting light rail in subway)

In alt.planning.urban David Barts <n5jrn@ricochet.net> wrote:

>Many railroads in the Western US used narrow gauges so as to allow
>for sharper turn radii (a big plus in mountainous areas).  I believe
>significant amounts of narrow gauge lasted until 1960 or so (such
>as the Denver and Rio Grande Western).  Two segments of the latter's
>narrow-gauge trackage survive as tourist railroads.

How are the rails on turns made to curve properly?  I realize it isn't
a tough technical problem today, but how about 150 years ago?

--
 "This country is a one-party country.  Half of it is called Republican
  and half is called Democrat.  It doesn't make any difference.  All the

 "The welfare state is the oldest con game in the world. First you
  take the people's money quietly and then you give some of it back
  to them flamboyantly." -- Thomas Sowell (1998)