Re: Countrylink Griffith - Broken Hill

Well it is now nearly two weeks since the
suspension of rail services to Griffith and the
Countrylink web site still shows the services as
a rail services and the following is a reply from
Countrylink:-

<bookings@countrylink.nsw.gov.au>
>To: Nick Griffin <spanner333@hotmail.nospam.com>
>Subject: Re: Sydney to Griffith train
>Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:11:27 +1000
>
>Dear Mr Griffin                     24/04/00
>
>The direct Griffith Outback train has been
retired and will be replaced by an
>Xplorer train in the near future.  A date is to
be set shortly.

>As from the 11th April the rail service has been
replaced by coach services
>for the next few weeks.
>
>Yours sincerely
>
>Veronica Mitchell
>Countrylink
>
>Nick Griffin wrote:
>
> > To whom it may concern
> >
> > Can you pls confirm if the Saturday train
from Central/Sydney Terminal to
> > Griffith via Junee is still running?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Nicholas Griffin
> > email  spanner333@hotmail.nospam.com

Good to see Countrylink is on the ball and has a
plan.  Just a shame they cannot share it with us.

Regards

Nick

In article
<9l3rfso6l16nsvo2p5nggftl4u7mlc30od@4ax.com>,
  RNS <steam3801@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Rumour has it that the way Countrylink will
provide an Xplorer service
> to Griffith is to cancel the Moree Xplorer two
days per week and
> operate that two car set to Griffith.
> As there are no spare Xplorer cars this rumour
would seem to have some
> legs.
> Bet the Moree line people have something to say
to Sculley when they
> find out.
> Latest analogy for Countrylink: SS Titanic.
i.e. Sinking Ship!

> On Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:25:17 +1000, Craig Haber
> <albatross@harnessnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >KaMaK wrote:
> >
> >> As of 6:15pm Wednesday 12th the Countrylink
web site timetables still showed
> >> a Saturday train from Junee to Griffith and
a Wednesday train through
> >> Condobolin to Ivanhoe.
> >
> >Countrylink's memo to Sales Outlets says:
> >
> >Countrylink's "Outback" train has been retired
and will be replaced with new
> >rail services for Griffith and Broken Hill.
> >
> >Following a detailed assesment of the
Outback's 50 year old carriages, it is
> >clear they require a major upgrade to meet the
comfort requirements of staff and
> >passengers.
> >
> >A decision has been made that the money and
time required for significant
> >improvements to the carriages would be better
spent on implementing new rail
> >services as a matter of priority.
> >
> >A number of short and mid term alternatives
are now in place to ensure
> >Countrylink continues to provide passenger
services to Griffith and Broken Hill.

> >The long term solution is the delivery of new
XPT rolling stock which is
> >expected to be available to Countrylink in 18
months time.  The new rolling
> >stock is intended for the Broken Hill service.
> >
> >_Griffith Services_
> >Griffith rail services have been replaced by
coach services for the next few
> >weeks.
> >
> >A date will be set shortly for the
commencement of Countrylink XPLORER services
> >to Griffith.
> >
> >The use of XPLORER carriages on the Griffith
services will be a significant
> >improvement, offering modern and comfortable
facilities.

> >_Broken Hill Services_
> >From today (Wed April 12), Countrylink's BH
rail servce will be replaced with
> >XPT services to Dubbo with connecting coach
services to BH.  Other arrangements
> >have been made based on passenger needs.
> >
> >In the near future, Countrylink customers will
be booked on either Indian
> >Pacific or Ghan services of which there are
three direct services per week.

> >The IP and Ghan offer superior comfort to
Countrylink's old Outback carriages.
> >These trains have been refurbished and offer
additional passenger facilities
> >including showers and video screens.
> >
> >Countrylink looks forward to providing better
services to Griffith and BH and I
> >appreciate your continued support.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >(signed)
> >Countrylink General Manager.
> >
> >_end memo_.
> >
> >What a pity, one of my most memorable gunzel
experiences, kicking back on the
> >Griffith, sucking tinnies and telling stories
(lies mostly) with those little
> >windows down and the 422 powering away......
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Craig.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.