Re: Countrylink Griffith - Broken Hill

Hi,

KaMaK wrote:

> As of 6:15pm Wednesday 12th the Countrylink web site timetables still showed
> a Saturday train from Junee to Griffith and a Wednesday train through
> Condobolin to Ivanhoe.

Countrylink's memo to Sales Outlets says:

Countrylink's "Outback" train has been retired and will be replaced with new
rail services for Griffith and Broken Hill.

Following a detailed assesment of the Outback's 50 year old carriages, it is
clear they require a major upgrade to meet the comfort requirements of staff and
passengers.

A decision has been made that the money and time required for significant
improvements to the carriages would be better spent on implementing new rail
services as a matter of priority.

A number of short and mid term alternatives are now in place to ensure
Countrylink continues to provide passenger services to Griffith and Broken Hill.

The long term solution is the delivery of new XPT rolling stock which is
expected to be available to Countrylink in 18 months time.  The new rolling
stock is intended for the Broken Hill service.

_Griffith Services_
Griffith rail services have been replaced by coach services for the next few
weeks.

A date will be set shortly for the commencement of Countrylink XPLORER services
to Griffith.

The use of XPLORER carriages on the Griffith services will be a significant
improvement, offering modern and comfortable facilities.

_Broken Hill Services_
>From today (Wed April 12), Countrylink's BH rail servce will be replaced with
XPT services to Dubbo with connecting coach services to BH.  Other arrangements
have been made based on passenger needs.

In the near future, Countrylink customers will be booked on either Indian
Pacific or Ghan services of which there are three direct services per week.

The IP and Ghan offer superior comfort to Countrylink's old Outback carriages.
These trains have been refurbished and offer additional passenger facilities
including showers and video screens.

Countrylink looks forward to providing better services to Griffith and BH and I
appreciate your continued support.

Sincerely,
(signed)
Countrylink General Manager.

_end memo_.

What a pity, one of my most memorable gunzel experiences, kicking back on the
Griffith, sucking tinnies and telling stories (lies mostly) with those little
windows down and the 422 powering away......

Cheers,
Craig.
--
Craig Haber