Re: Countrylink Griffith - Broken Hill

In article <38F5BCAD.16685B42@harnessnet.com.au>,
  Craig Haber <albatross@harnessnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> KaMaK wrote:
>
> > As of 6:15pm Wednesday 12th the Countrylink web site timetables
still showed
> > a Saturday train from Junee to Griffith and a Wednesday train
through
> > Condobolin to Ivanhoe.
>
> Countrylink's memo to Sales Outlets says:
>
> Countrylink's "Outback" train has been retired and will be replaced
with new
> rail services for Griffith and Broken Hill.
>
> Following a detailed assesment of the Outback's 50 year old
carriages, it is
> clear they require a major upgrade to meet the comfort requirements
of staff and
> passengers.
But the tinetabling and frequency of the train is still a
disastor...even with new rolling stock it wouldn't help much...

> A decision has been made that the money and time required for
significant
> improvements to the carriages would be better spent on implementing
new rail
> services as a matter of priority.
New Zealand's Tranz Rail long distance carriages are older...most dated
back in the 1930s...they refurbished it with panorama windows, end-
observation lounge etc. You couldn't tell they are almost 70 years old.
WCR have carriages with similar age and still going strong.

> A number of short and mid term alternatives are now in place to ensure
> Countrylink continues to provide passenger services to Griffith and
>Broken Hill.
<<<<<<<BUS>>>>>>>>>>>

> The long term solution is the delivery of new XPT rolling stock which
is
> expected to be available to Countrylink in 18 months time.  The new
rolling
> stock is intended for the Broken Hill service.
still using
> _Griffith Services_
> Griffith rail services have been replaced by coach services for the
next few
> weeks.
>
> A date will be set shortly for the commencement of Countrylink
XPLORER services
> to Griffith.
>
> The use of XPLORER carriages on the Griffith services will be a
significant
> improvement, offering modern and comfortable facilities.
How much time would be save by using explorer instead of loco haul?

> _Broken Hill Services_
> From today (Wed April 12), Countrylink's BH rail servce will be
replaced with
> XPT services to Dubbo with connecting coach services to BH.  Other
arrangements
> have been made based on passenger needs.
>
> In the near future, Countrylink customers will be booked on either
Indian
> Pacific or Ghan services of which there are three direct services per
week.

> The IP and Ghan offer superior comfort to Countrylink's old Outback
carriages.
> These trains have been refurbished and offer additional passenger
facilities
> including showers and video screens.
The same refurbishment could be done with Rub set! why can't this be
Countrylink train??? Did GSR recieve subsidise for carry concession
card holders ?

> Countrylink looks forward to providing better services to Griffith
and BH and I
> appreciate your continued support.
>
> Sincerely,
> (signed)