Re: NSW: On time running

Hunslet <hunslet@cia.com.au> writes:

>CitRail will go to any length to improve its "on time" running record.

[ deleted ]

>To quote the Station Manager on duty at the time when asked why the
>passengers were no informed of the late-running inter-urban  beforehand
>- "The announcements come from the person in the signal box who is under
>the control of Network Control.   I wasn't told."   I always thought
>that platform indicators were controlled by CityRail staff.

No, they aren't in locations where there is (or was) a signal box.
Sutherland has a special position just for the PIS (Passenger Information
System) operator (they are also a 'train recorder'), and these positions
have recently been created and advertised internally for all other signal
box locations except places like Cronulla, Waterfall, Richmond, etc., which
don't need extra staff to do it.

The DM at Sutherland was telling you the truth - he has no control over the
indicators and DVA system as the person in the box operates them, on advice
from the signaller sitting next to him/her, and from info passed on about
train running by Network Control.

Hurstville is the same - it's all done from Sydenham.

Regards,

Craig.
--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport