Re: Rail group questions use of Cowra to Blayney route

maurie Daly wrote:

> Bruce Greening <bgreeni@attglobal.net> wrote in message
> 38FD8B32.4A3C1290@attglobal.net">news:38FD8B32.4A3C1290@attglobal.net...
> >

> > Maurie Daly wrote:

> >http://www.abc.net.au/news/regionals/orange/monthly/regor-18apr2000-3.htm
> > >
> > > They have a good point.
> > > I have also wondered exactly what this re opened line is going to be
> used for.
> > > Without the southern leg of the Demondrille Triangle its useless for
> diverting
> > > freights thru to Melb ,and given the quite severe grades on the line and
> the
> > > fact that it cant handle main line locos ,(NRs ,81s ,82s) its not too
> clear
> > > who could actually run trains on the line anyway.
> > > One wonders whether as it was an easy line to re open and like the
> Gulgong -
> > > Mudgee - Kandos re opening ( I also cant see what this line is going to
> carry
> > > either) ,which was also easy one to open , you cant help think that both
> lines
> > > are being done for political purposes, (ie so the Govt can say it is re
> > > opening lines.)
> > > Re opeing the Cooma line would be more useful ,as would re opeing
> Armidale
> > > to Tenterfield or Coota to Tumut but of course these are both a bit
> harder
> > > to do.
> > >
> > > For a really laterally thinking organization then re laying and re
> opeing
> > > Griffith to Roto with the re instating of the western leg of the
> triangle
> > > along with re opeing Narrandera to Tocumwal would be a far sighted move.
> > > This requires unfortunately an ability to think further than the good of
> the
> > > State though.
> > >
> > > cheers
> > > MD
> >
> > RAC is currently studying the feasibility of reopening a number of lines,
> includding Cowra - Eugowra,
> > Grenthorpe - Greenfell, Cootamundra - Tumut and Narrandera - Tocumwal.
> Also looking a a portion of Roto -
> > Hilston to serve a new cotton gin along the line.
> >
> > That far sighted enough for you?
> >
> > --
> > Bruce L. Greening
> > bgreeni@ibm.net
> >
>  Its not bad if any of it actually comes off.
> By far sighted I meant looking at rail projects that benefit not only NSW
> but the rest of the country as well.
> If it were at all possible to re open Griffith to Roto with reasonable track
> even 47 kg/M
> then we can seriously start to look at running Melb - Perth and later
> possibly Melb - Darwin
> trains via Mangalore - Tocumwal - Naranderra - Griffith - Roto than via the
> existing route
> thru the Adelaide hills.
> [...]

The Hilston - Cotton Gin project is only a short section, and then a branch to
the Gin. It would be built using steel sleepers and existing rail, but the
sleepers will be bored for heavier rail later. Just heavy rail north of Hilston
is no good without re-railing Griffith - Hilston.

I have thought that the other big advantage of going via roto, either from Junee
or via Tocumwal is the ease of double stacking from Melb to Perth or Darwin.
Many fewer bridges and tunnels that via Stockinbingal and parkes.
--
Bruce L. Greening
bgreeni@ibm.net