Rumour

(Cross-posted)

Got this rumour from a friend who is a travel agent today - apparently he
was visitted by his Qantas Sales Consultant, so I have no idea as to how
true it is.

It seems that Qantas will be picking up the station usage fee for Qantas
Club members and some categories of frequent flyer (not stated which,
although I presume gold and silver) when the airport railway opens in Sydney
next month.

For those in aus.aviation who are not aware, the New Southern Railway, with
stops at both the Domestic and International terminals at YSSY, has stations
which were funded by the private sector, so fares to these stations will be
the normal distance based CityRail fares, plus a charge to use the station
(around $6 I believe for the two airport stations). Holders of weekly and
longer tickets will be able to use these tickets to the station but will
then have to pay a surcharge.

According to the rumour (standard disclaimer), Qantas will be picking up
this fee for the upper end of the market. My friend was unable to say how it
would operate, whether QF would refund the fee on presentation of the rail
ticket, or whether these passengers would just have to show their membership
card (in conjunction with their rail ticket) to exit the station.

If it is true, I wonder how long before Ansett jumps on the bandwagon.

Dave