Re: [NSW] Sydney transport woes???

Yep. same experience here. only about 5% of trains are worth winging about!!
on the whole, it is good for what you pay for it. if i didn't get student
(my child concession card just ran out!) , but adult fares, i might be
saying diffrent...

Paul JOnes

Hubert Lam wrote in message <38f66df0$0$27524@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>...
>After my experience today I am a firm believer that Sydney's transport is
perhaps much better than
>what the press calls it to be.
>
>My travels today started from home (Burwood). Had to go to West Ryde to get
some books, then to City
>to get more books.
>
>Here's the "log" of today:
>
>8.15 out of the house
>arrived at station 8.25
>train for Hornsby scheduled for 8.27, according to SPI, was 1 min "late"
(arrived 8.28).
>train does not stop at stations between Strathfield and south of Parramatta
River, arrived West Ryde
>12min after boarding (around 8.40)
>book bought, walked to 520 bus stop at 8.50. Bus scheduled for 9.01
>Merc Benz O405N arrived at 9.06, whilst during the 15 min wait for the bus
there weren't any trains
>departing for the city so far as i observed.
>Bus sped along T3 lane on Victoria Road, experienced the biggest joyride on
a bus in my whole
>life...all the lights were somehow green! Some people on intermediate stops
were annoyed about the
>bus not stopping, as Dave Proctor noticed on his travels on 520 previously
>Bus exited Western Distributor-Anzac Bridge Freeway at 9.40 (seriously
though, West Ryde to City on
>a relatively fast train would still take 25-30min.) Got off at Town Hall.
>The last transaction of the day complete. Began walking to Wynyard Station
from Dymocks City
>Superstore.
>Slow Penrith via Olympic Park arrived spot on time
>Arrived Burwood at 10.25, according to SPI, 1 min "late" (due to South Line
via Fairfield train
>holding the Penrith train at Ashfield)
>
>So in 2 hrs I managed to go from Burwood to West Ryde (12 min)
>West Ryde to City (35 min)   <-- presents serious competition even to a
train running fast on the
>Main North from Meadowbank to Strathfield
>City to Burwood (15 min)
>
>Don't think it can be done by car. And since I'm still eligible for child's
rate of fare, here's the
>fares I paid...
>
>Burwood & West Ryde return $2.20 (peak return child ticket, not that I
needed the return journey)
>West Ryde to City on 4 dips of Blue travelten ($1.88, to exact amount)
>Wynyard to Burwood $1.30
>
>Total of around $5.40, for travelling 50km around Sydney, or about 50c/km
(double the fare the
>adult)
>
>So I guess most whingers are basically UNLUCKY when they get
dirty/late/cancelled trains. Myself