Re: [SA] Pinaroo, Loxton

ben_scaro@my-deja.com wrote:

> Why did the Loxton freight centre close ? I'm wondering whether AN just
> gave up on the idea or whether the concept was flawed to begin with.
> What freights was it designed to attract ?  The only pic I've seen of a
> train working to or from the Loxton Freight Centre is in the SA 80s
> pictorial, it showed a number of OBs without tarps- could have been for
> fertiliser I guess.

Wow, good question to ask now.  Who really knows.?
Presumably AN saw potential there, but history shows
this as yet another SAR line which 90 years ago was the
only viable alternative to walking apart from the horse
and cart and like so many SAR lines it took the very
long way around to get there and was slowly but surely
cut to pieces by the "road" industry starting some 60
years or more ago.

> The Apamurra line probably sees more variety in motive power since
> standardisation than it ever did as a broad gauge line.  GMs, 600s,
> 830s, DAs have all been there.  Maybe even CKs and 961 too but I'm not
> sure of that.

Yes, seasonal only.
I guess when the maintenance of the line eventually
exceeds revenue, its either state subsidy or closure.

----Terry Burton
<< Remove net after @ for email reply. >>