Re: [NSW] Friday dramas

Bexley North was always fun in the wet.  Single deck cars struggling to find
their feet on the down as they departed (only 1 in 60 however) and drivers
occasionally putting a couple of cars out of the platform on the up when
sliding to a stand.

My old man used to tell me stories of trains on the up at Cheltenham on wet
mornings in the fifties.  On more than one occasion all 8 cars slid beyond
the platform on the falling 1 in 40.  The reverse of this was stalled steam
hauled freights on the down.  The following 8 car spark (or sometimes two 8
car sparks coupled) would try and propel the stalled freight to Hornsby.
Much wheel slip and glowing banks of resistors would result with a rather
lengthy delay ensuing.  No bus replacements then, everyone just waited until
the line was clear.

Parcels Vans, 2, 4, 6 & 8 car standard sets all had load ratings for what
tonnage they could propel when a preceding train broke down.  Figures were
given in "First stop Central".for 1 in 40 grades from memory.  Do figures
exist for S, K, T and G sets or is all rescue work undertaken by locos
nowadays?

Chris

erZI4.3953$5D.8397@ozemail.com.au">news:erZI4.3953$5D.8397@ozemail.com.au...