Re: Redfern derailment - rails rusted through???

"Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> wrote:

> Nothing really wrong with wood, although I must say that they have to be replaced much sooner than
> concrete.
>
> and also termites do affect the wood, but Sydney I believe is relatively free of termites

Well there is far more to using concrete sleepers which
was never touched on in previous threads.

Do you have up to 70 Kms of continuous welded rail
laying on wood sleepers in NSW.?
Ask anybody who has traveled concrete track what they
think, re the smooooooth ride.

Has somebody over there found a way to stop spikes from
working loose.?  Clips can NEVER work loose.

When the shade temperature gets above 40'C are there
speed restrictions on wood sleepers.?
The old CR/ANR/AN (pre concrete) had speed restrictions
(Form 5607) when the shade temp got above 40+ on wood
sleeper track because of buckling, the SAR and VR
suffered bent track on extremely hot days.
Does not happen on the first concrete track in Oz the
PA-Whyalla (1972), nor the TAR and TAS, full tilt no
matter how hot.

----Terry Burton
<< Remove net after @ for email reply. >>