Re: Note from the Alice.

In article <86dtesc60bfr3e8pdb6aduj041ua1395j4@4ax.com>,
  "< Tell >" <telljb@netozemail.com.au> wrote:
> "T & J Jones" <jonest@senet.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > I understand that weekly there are now fewer but longer trains to
Alice
> > Springs?
>
> Correct.
>
> NRC have taken advantage of double stack and long
> trains as pioneered by the previous Commonwealth
> operator up here and across to the West.
>
> They are to be commended for that, rail does not have a
> chance if it can not exploit the above.  Contrast this
> with the Adelaide Melbourne Sydney Brisbane national
> network, pure 19th century steam train stuff.
Tarcoola to Alice Spring section is a good stretch of rail piese.. all
weather permitt condition...much better then interstate track

> In fairness to NRC, ANR saddled the standard gauge
> entrance into Alice Springs with some severe curves,
> there were a number of reasons why this happened, not
> the least of which is that it was narrow gauge before.
>
> I still think NRC are not helping the "cause" with
> their present train makeup which minimises shunting and
> makes use of the gantry road entrance/exit.
>
> ----Terry Burton
> << Remove net after @ for email reply. >>

IIRC there is only one NR train run daily and Ghan 2 weekly each
direction.....may get more frequent if Darwin link opens( maybe 1 more
train weekly) But some people in the parliment still insists spending
money on Melbourne-Darwin "Inland-rail" link is worthy
--
Cheers

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/