Re: Note from the Alice.

"T & J Jones" <jonest@senet.com.au> wrote:

> I understand that weekly there are now fewer but longer trains to Alice
> Springs?

Correct.

NRC have taken advantage of double stack and long
trains as pioneered by the previous Commonwealth
operator up here and across to the West.

They are to be commended for that, rail does not have a
chance if it can not exploit the above.  Contrast this
with the Adelaide Melbourne Sydney Brisbane national
network, pure 19th century steam train stuff.

In fairness to NRC, ANR saddled the standard gauge
entrance into Alice Springs with some severe curves,
there were a number of reasons why this happened, not
the least of which is that it was narrow gauge before.

I still think NRC are not helping the "cause" with
their present train makeup which minimises shunting and
makes use of the gantry road entrance/exit.

----Terry Burton
<< Remove net after @ for email reply. >>