Re: Feds certify access "regime" for Alice to Darwin line.

In article <j8roes8d4hmqej206s7bt3637d173d7roi@4ax.com>,
  "< Tell >" <telljb@netozemail.com.au> wrote:
> mdaly1@tpg.com.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:
> >
> > Does this now mean that Tarcoola to AP is now under control of the
> > Austral -Asia Rail consortium,and that Access Fees are now payable
to them
> > rather than ARTC.?
This just create more trouble... we need a one stop Track Access shop
to convinent operators.

> At the moment I presume the TAS line is still ARTC.
> Incidentally I have NEVER heard the word ARTC mentioned
> by any politician associated with this project.
Does any politicans(I mean those in Canberra) ever heard of GSR?? ASR??
Countrylink?? NR???QR??

> I was able to ferret out the statement in full.
>
> [quote verbatim]
> The Darwin to Alice Springs Railway (sic) moved a step
> closer to reality today (23/3/00) with the Commonwealth
> Governments certification of the access regime for the
> project.
> Acting Chief Minister Mike Reed said the certification
> by Treasurer Peter Costello was a major step.
> The certification means we now have a 30 year access
> regime which is in accordance with the National
> Competition Principles Agreement Mr Reed said.
> This is an important development as it provides stable
> regulatory environment for this major $1.2 billion
> infrastructure project.
> A certified access regime was needed to meet the
> requirements of the National Competition Council and
> was certified under s.44N of the Trade Practices Act.
> Mr Reed said the regime strikes an appropriate balance
> between the interests of the owners Asia-Pacific
> Transport Consortium and the wider public interest in
> ensuring fair and reasonable access for third parties.
> This milestone is the outcome of close cooperation
> between the South Australian and Northern Territory
> Governments.
> The Acting Chief Minister said the certification of the
> access regime keeps the projects timetable on track.
> This is one more important step towards the Territory,
> Commonwealth and South Australia Governments delivering
> the most significant infrastructure project since the
> Snowy Mountains hydroelectric scheme.
> [so endeth pollie speak]
>
> What do you make of that folks.?
I think he said "a major step forward too many times...but little
action.

--
Cheers

James