Re: Feds certify access "regime" for Alice to Darwin line.

mdaly1@tpg.com.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:

> Does this now mean that Tarcoola to AP is now under control of the
> Austral -Asia Rail consortium,and that Access Fees are now payable to them
> rather than ARTC.?

At the moment I presume the TAS line is still ARTC.
Incidentally I have NEVER heard the word ARTC mentioned
by any politician associated with this project.

I was able to ferret out the statement in full.

[quote verbatim]
The Darwin to Alice Springs Railway (sic) moved a step
closer to reality today (23/3/00) with the Commonwealth
Governments certification of the access regime for the
project.
Acting Chief Minister Mike Reed said the certification
by Treasurer Peter Costello was a major step.
The certification means we now have a 30 year access
regime which is in accordance with the National
Competition Principles Agreement Mr Reed said.
This is an important development as it provides stable
regulatory environment for this major $1.2 billion
infrastructure project.
A certified access regime was needed to meet the
requirements of the National Competition Council and
was certified under s.44N of the Trade Practices Act.
Mr Reed said the regime strikes an appropriate balance
between the interests of the owners Asia-Pacific
Transport Consortium and the wider public interest in
ensuring fair and reasonable access for third parties.
This milestone is the outcome of close cooperation
between the South Australian and Northern Territory
Governments.
The Acting Chief Minister said the certification of the
access regime keeps the projects timetable on track.
This is one more important step towards the Territory,
Commonwealth and South Australia Governments delivering
the most significant infrastructure project since the
Snowy Mountains hydroelectric scheme.
[so endeth pollie speak]

What do you make of that folks.?

----Terry Burton