Re: Queensland EMU sets

In article <WREF4.61070$3b6.238614@ozemail.com.au>,
"Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> Does anybody know what the reason is for the current program to
replace the
> curved windscreens on the EMU sets with flat screens? Is it because
of a
> shortage of spare curved glass or are the flat screens better?
What I heard was this is part of the "crash resistence" program to
strengthen the cab of EMU sets to give extra protection for the driver
in case of level crossing accident and collision occur. What I heard
was EMU's cab don't have as good "crash resistence" as SMUs and IMUs.
Once the crash resistence cab fitted the whole cab changed shape
therefore you need flat screen rather then curve screen. The new front
end design also prevent stuffs left on the rail get into bogies and
derail the train.

> Sorry this is not Cityrail or Bayside/Hillside stuff, but there are
other
> places in OZ too.
>
> Barry Campbell
Barry, remember this is "AUS-RAIL" forum!! I'm happy to talk about any
rail systems or rail related stuff within Australia I believe most of
the subscribers here also wishing to see more stuff north of Border
Loop.

--
Cheers
James