Alice Springs, 2-3/3

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Greetings, all:

Dropped into the NR office yesterday afternoon after work, to be told
4AL7N freight was about ten minutes away.  After a quick chat, I raced
home, grabbed the camera and set out to FINALLY photograph an arrival
through the Gap.  Back to the highway, and towards Bradshaw Drive, about
90 seconds too late: it was already through!  Damn!  Interestingly, loco
was NR100 (small cabside numbers), reported yesterday afternoon by
Justin Cheary as heading 2PM5 out of Adelaide on Wednesday.  It mustn't
have gone far, as it would have had to be back by Wednesday evening to
depart for the Alice.

Consist was: NR100 / motorail / single-stacked 5-well set with one empty
well / 5-pack / 10 flats / 2-pack / flat / 3-pack / 14 Mereenie tanks =
41 wagons, arrived in the yard at 1725 (about 90 minutes early).

With continuing rain further north, roads are cut around Katherine.
This is expected to impact on train consists, as no empties will be able
to come back for Adelaide-bound workings.  I suppose nothing much will
be despatched from Adelaide either, as it would only be stuck here for
the duration.

Only three more sleeps to go!

Regards,

Peter Donaghy