RE: Freight Corp allotments

Aus loco discussion mailing list

>From: "Melanie J. Dennis" <meld.asg@netspeed.com.au>
>Subject: RE: Freight Corp allotments
>Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 22:51:36 +1100
>
>Aus loco discussion mailing list
>
>Ivar wrote: >>> Whilst posting this message I managed to miss the 82 class
>squeak past
>on 2138. Can anyone assist with unit number, please? <<<
>
>It was 8215
>
>Ivar wrote: >>> so 4842 will probably not be restored to traffic or
>preserved as was the plan. <<<
>
>Being a Mk1, I think it has little hope of a FreightCorp reprieve.  Who was
>planning to preserve it?
>
>Melanie Dennis
>Australian Steam Group
>   meld.asg@netspeed.com.au
>Sorry, Melanie, I din't ask that question as it would have been academic
>anyway.
Seems to me that the more we preserve, the better off we will be in the long
run. As this was a good unit, I am sure that a good home would have been
found for it somewhere, provided that the usual guarantees were given re
commercial use after "preservation".
Seems better to preserve an intact unit than to "stuff & mount" a shell in a
park as was proposed with 4830. Must ask what the progress is on this, too.
Any further developements re 4203 as previously posted? Would look good in
my back yard even thought it is a GM! That'll get 'em going, me thinks. Got
room for an Alco also.
Regards
Ivar