Cooks river 9/2

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Evening all,
Due to M.U.A. annual picnic day on Sydney waterfront today there was quite a
gathering of locos siiting idle at Cooks River this morning around 0730.
8031 was stabled near the main line to Botany with a trip train with
X38/4701 on the same track.
8011 was stabled opposite the FCL Transport facility.
8181 was shunting the consist for 1827 Blayney freight.
EL58/EL62 plus 4486 were stabled next to the Seatrans depot.
On the way home from work I went via Cooks river to see what was on 4SM7
Austrac which turned out to be EL54/EL51 (which appear to be regular motive
power for this train).
Also present was 1873 which was shunting SM7, EL58/62 &4486 still present,
likewise 8011, but X38/4701 were nowhere to be seen.
Then by turning off Princes Highway into Bellevue street and stopping near
the Salvo's store I could see the 2 DL's in the siding paralleling the main
line to Botany (can't remember this siding's name). Front unit was DL49 but
rear unit was obscured by wagons off 1PS6. As I have to travel from Botany
to Bargo every day I could not justify waiting until the Boral train was
unloaded to get rear unit number. The area off Bellevue street provides a
great view over Cooks River yards, but be careful as a lot of trucks with
empty containers use this road to get to the offhire depot, and be careful
not to trespass as most of the adjoining land is private property.
I actually drive thru Cooks river rail every morning and have been doing so
for nearly 15 years so all the shunters etc know of me, plus I work in the
container shipping industry so I can account for myself if challenged. But I
would not recommend that we all attack the place enmasse.
Regards
Ivar