Tahmoor coalies

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Evening all,
Have been keeping an eye on the two push/pull coalies TM11/12 and TM55/56
which run from Port Kembla via Robertson to Tahmoor & return on almost every
week day. Both trains are worked by the same locos & wagons.
For most of the past week (and surprisingly last Sat & Sun) the trains were
worked by "bookend" 81s 32&23.
It is common for the same locos to stay on this working for up to a week,
but I have noticed that when one loco is changed it is nearly always the
rear one.
My mate "in the know" advises that they quite often have trouble with the
rear unit overheating in the long pull out of Tahmoor as well as in the
Aylmerton tunnel and the short steep pull into Robertson. This would explain
why the rear unit is quite often changed. 82 class are not all that common
on these trains and are usually the rear unit when on this run.
With 42 wagons they are experiencing problems lifting the load from the
colliery & apparently double 82s don't stand much of a chance.
Hope this may be of some interest.
regards
Ivar