Re: Stabled in Narromine

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Hi all,
More likely it is a lube stick. A curled stick of lubricating grease that
rubs on the flange to reduce ear and tear. The millipede remover is also
used as a sand blower for operation in the alien world of NSW.
BTW have you noticed that some NR's are now fitted with Shu-Roos (NR 90
comes to mind). I tried one out the other day while sitting on the Overland
at Spencer Street station and it worked; no roos anywhere in sight. ;-)

At 15:59 04/02/2000 +1100, you wrote:
>Aus loco discussion mailing list
>
>G'day all,
>Maybe it was the apparatus that blows compressed air onto the rail head to
>disperse the millipedes that particularly frequent the Adelaide Hills route
>and cause many "stick-ups" on the severe grades?
>See Ya   AH
>
>>    I stuck my head under the leading bogie of NR 52 and noticed a device
>>fitted that had a guide up against the leading wheel. Is this to do with
>>tyre wear or some other thing?

Cheers

Kevin Lawrence