Re: Stabled in Narromine

Aus loco discussion mailing list

Don Mills wrote:

> Aus loco discussion mailing list
>
> I have to ask a stupid question?  What is a millipede scraper.  Does this
> function like a Snow Plow or is it the name of a rail car like the Sperry
> Rail Cars used for maintenance.  Don in WV-USA

Millipedes are a bug that tends to like crawling along the rail head in the
Adelaide Hills.  There are so many of them that when they get squashed by the
locomotive wheels, the become very slippery and the trains cannot get adhesion.
To alleviate this problem, NR class locos have a nozzle which blows high
pressure air along the rail head in front of the wheel to blow the millipedes
off.

--
David Johnson
trainman@ozemail.com.au