Re: Liverpool & Loftus Signal Box

Aus loco discussion mailing list

ehholden wrote:

> Aus loco discussion mailing list
>
> Could someone please inform on the future of these fine signal boxes.
> Liverpool is deteriorating at a rapid pace, in contrast to the rapid
> redevlopment of the surrounding station, and Loftus is all boarded up.

Since the break-up of State Rail on 1/7/1996, most signal boxes are now
vested with Rail Access Corporation, not by State Rail.
One exception is the former Canterbury Signal Box, possibly because of
the adjacent Rail Services Australia maintenance depot.

The "old" Liverpool Signal Box is heavily white ant ridden and has been
totally stripped/vandalised internally.   When I examined the Box a
couple
of years ago, I considered that it was beyond redemption and recommended
demolition as a safety issue.   Some important relics from the Box have
been preserved
within the CityRail Business Office in the former Goods Shed.   They
were
recovered prior to the transfer of ownership of the Signal Box from SRA
RAC.    Leasing to a preservation group had been considered, but there
is
no simple legal access to the site and, besides, no group wanted it.
If
you are seriously interested in preserving it, preferably by taking it
away for re-erection on your own property, I would suggest that you
contact Rail Access Corporation now!

Loftus Signal Box was retained in situ following the closure of the
Royal
National Park branch with the hope that some party would be interested
in
preserving it in its present location.   Alas, no.    Since then,
ownership has also passed into the hands of Rail Access Corporation.
Some interest had been shown by Powerhouse Museum in relocating the Box
Darling Harbour, but nothing has developed.   Here's hoping.

One has to remember that for anything to be preserved, someone has to
actively maintain the item.   This does not happen with arm-chair
preservationists.

The frame from the burnt-out Warwick Farm Racecourse Junction signal box
was recovered and is stored by State Rail Heritage, awaiting an
application from a suitable preservation group.

Just ask the guys trying to set up a Signalling and Safeworking Museum
at
Hornsby, incorporating the former 1926 Hornsby Signal Box, and they will
confirm how difficult it all is!

Hunslet